PACK4GOOD POSITION STATEMENT
The Printing House recognizes that single use packaging, whether plastics or paper, currently exerts an impact on ecosystems at the resource extraction point, during production and in disposal. Addressing this requires a wholistic approach that doesn’t increase pressure on one globally vital ecosystem (e.g. forests) in order to reduce the pressure on another (e.g oceans). It is both imperative and possible to create changes in packaging use, sourcing, production and end-of-product-use management to support the shift away from single-use plastics and enable conservation of ancient and endangered forests concurrently.
Therefore, we, as a supporting partner of Canopy’s Pack4Good Initiative, commit to:
- Ensure the paper-based packaging we use does not include fibre sourced from Ancient and Endangered Forests by end of year 2022.
- Prioritize innovative packaging design to reduce overall material needs. Give preference to paper-based packaging with high-recycled content, specifically post-consumer waste content.
- Encourage our suppliers that are found to be sourcing from Ancient and Endangered forests to change practices and/or re-evaluate our relationship with them.
- Work with innovative companies and Canopy to continuously expand the availability and development of next generation solutions with a focus on agricultural residues and post-consumer recycled content.
- Source forest fibre from forests certified under the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) system, including any plantation fibre, when recycled fibre and agricultural residue fibre is unattainable.
- Request that our suppliers recognize, respect and uphold human rights and acknowledge the right of Indigenous People and rural communities to give or withhold their Free, Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC).
- Support conservation solutions and seek opportunities to inform the public on these issues and solutions through our marketing and communications.
- Benchmark and set specific targets and timelines to track and report on our progress.
Serving up fresh ideas daily @tphcanada
Meet innovative creators, find inspiration in the details, and discover outside-the-box design. Connect with us & share your amazing creations.